Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Surgery


Grayden had his adenoids taken out yesterday.  He actually did very well.  We were supposed to be at the hospital at 6:30 a.m.  I had set the alarm for 5:30 so I could take a quick shower before we went and Grayden was supposed to be bathed right before he came because they say it cuts down on infection.  Well I ended up falling asleep in the night in Graydens room because he had woken up and when the alarm went off Chris thought I was already gone and turned it off.  Well at 6:30 I woke up and realized it was far to light to be 5:30.  I was dashing to get dressed and pull my hair up while Chris quickly bathed Grayden.  Needless to say I did not get a shower.  Luckily we are only half an hour late and it was fine.  They took us back took his weight, temperature, blood pressure, and oxygen.  Then they sent us to a room to put him in a gown.  The anesthesiologist came in and talked to us and they had him take some happy drugs and then we just sat reading books until it was time.  He was so funny because he was just sitting in a chair with his books, blanket, and big floppy eared orange dog and we could not stop smiling, and his eyes were rolling around.  He was so tired.  It made me laugh and I sure wish I had remembered to bring my camera.  They came and took him back and I just read my book for a half hour or so.  It really was not a long procedure.  They doctor came back and told me everything looked fine.  It took a little longer than they anticipated because they could not get the breathing tube down his throat.  He said he has a much smaller throat than he has seen in a long time.  About ten minutes later they brought him back to me.  He was a bit upset and very hoarse as he was trying to come out of the anesthesia.  He screamed for about twenty minutes and then fell back asleep for about twenty minutes.  When he woke up the next time he was much better.  He certainly was in good spirits considering what he had just been through.  He enjoyed a few popcicles and some apple juice and then they let us go home.  He was a little slower than usual, but really didn't skip a beat.  I was hoping for a nap myself, but he never slowed down.  He even accompanied me to a doctors appointment later and my doctor was amazed he was as chipper and active as he was.  What a trooper!!!!!  I think I was more exhausted than he was.  He even enjoyed a piece of pizza for dinner.  I am including a picture of the famous orange dog that accompanied him for surgery.  The nurses thought it was pretty amusing that he was so in love with it.  Notice the stitched up eye.  It had a little run in with Gus (Grandma Joannes dog).  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad everything went well. Did they take out his tonsils too?
I must say that is one sad looking stuffed animal!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the running tips! When I grow up I would like to be a runner like yourself! :)

p.s. I tagged you on my blog! Play along with me!